Sewing Kit (for Starters)7:42 PM
To begin sewing, you need some tools. Here is a list of the tools you would need if you are just getting started (aside from a sewing machine and an iron). For some tool tips, click here.
For the beginner:
- One pair of sharp shears. Get a new pair, label them and guard them how your grandma guards hers.
- Pin cushion
- Pins 1 3/4" or longer. I use quilting pins because they are nice and sharp, thin, long and easy to work with.
- Hand sewing needles in various sizes (make sure they're Sharps)
- A few safety pins
- One seam gauge
- One flexible measuring tape
- Machine sewing needles (Universal, start with size 80/12)
- One seam ripper (as much as I wish we didn't have to use this, it is essential)
- Black and white thread
- A few extra bobbin spools (Make sure they fit your machine specifically.)
- Something to mark your fabric with. A marking pen, a chalk wheel or chalk.
- Press cloth (this is just a white piece of cotton about 18"x18")